Another important monument of the XVII century - the mausoleum of Khoja Abdi-Birun located in the village Akmechet (Samarkand). Brother of Khoja Abdi, who led a righteous life, and also served as a respected qadi, rests here.
In the Middle Ages, the mausoleum was located outside the city walls of Samarkand, and this earned its name – “external, located outside the city”. In contrast to the architectural ensemble Abdi Darun, which served as a place of burial, ziyarat (visit) was allowed to do here during the major holidays.
Abdi Birun complex includes khanaqa, decorated with brick mosaic with blue ornament and rounded dome. Since it was inhabited by the dervishes, it was also called “Sufi monastery”.
Presumably in the XII century with the order of Sultan Sanjar, a mazar (cemetery) of Abdi Birun was erected. However, it was fully destroyed during the Mongol invasion in 1220. Only in 1633, dakhma – ground crypt with marble was constructed over Abdi Birun grave. A burial yard was surrounded by a brick wall. Later khanqa with the mosque was built. In the result, the ensemble with hauz (pond), enclosed by a stone fence, was created.
It is possible to enter to the complex via darvazahona, entrance constructed in the form of the portal.
Abdi Birun Ensemble was preserved in good condition till the middle of 20th century and was used during the shooting of film “Hamza”. In the beginning of the 2,000, the restorers found earthen cells. They were connected by underground tunnels.The Ensemble Abdi-Birun is still one of the largest in Central Asia.