Tilla Kari Madrasah received its name “gold-plated” due to abundant use of gold leaf in the interior decoration. It was constructed on Registan Square in line with the order of Yalangtush biy Bahadur.
Earlier, caravan-serai Mirzoi of the 15th century was stood on the site of Tilla Kari. But it became dilapidated to the beginning of construction works in 1646. However, it did not prevent to use its foundation and walls.
As cathedral mosques of Samarkand (Bibi Khanym and Alike Kukeltash) were destroyed, Tilla Kari madrasah was used as mosque for Friday prayers. It took fourteen years to construct and finish works. However, the quality of decoration was much lower in comparison with neighboring buildings. The outer dome of the mosque was left unfinished. Such negligence is associated with the death of the ruler.
Tilla Kari Madrasah is located in front of Sherdor madrasah. Its main facade was constructed in Bukhara style and looks to Registan square with its 16 hudjras (living rooms). There are two cylindrical towers – guldastas in the corners and they were also used as minarets.
The enternal walls are decorated with brick and inlaid mosaics. The external decoration complemented with the patterns in the form of geometric shapes and plants, as well as inscriptions in Arabic.
Tilla Kari Mosque in the portal-dome shape is located in the western part of the yard. Its interior decorated with relief ornament with colorful painting and gilding. It seems, the masters wanted to make it pompous.
The most part of decorations of the madrasah was destroyed by the beginning of the 20th century. Based on survived fragments, the specialists with great difficulty managed to recreate its former glory.Visitors to Tilla Kari madrasah can see images from the period of restoration of the architectural ensemble Registan. Today, the madrasah is one of the best educational institutions as in 17th century.