Hazrat Khizr mosque was built in the period of conquest of Central Asia by the Arabs in the beginning of the 8th century. It is located in small hill in the south of ancient settlement Afrasiab.
The building was named after Prophet Khizr. He patronized travelers and possessed “living water”. According to legend, the Arabs decided to flood the city fortress of Samarkand and blocked the channel Arzis. But suddenly giant white bird came flying and destroyed the dam.
In honor of the miraculous rescue, the mosque was erected. Earlier, Zoroastrian temple was here. The Hazrati Khizr Mosque was destroyed by Mongols in 1220. During their military campaigns, Mongols fully destroyed the buildings.
Current mosque was constructed on ancient basement in 1854. Its original look was lost as the building was reconstructed significantly. Square darvazahana (entrance portal) with guldasta towers and beautiful eastern minaret was constructed near it. In the opposite side of the façade, there is also guldasta tower.
Visually, it balances the detached minaret and creates a sense of symmetry. Fully Hazrati Khizr Mosque got its current form in 1919.
Exterior decoration of the mosque is somehow unusual compared with other similar buildings. There is no usual predominance of blue and green colors. On the contrary, many elements of beige and terracotta color were used. A bright ceiling of aivan decorated with intricate ornaments and patterns. The wooden door of the 19th century is especially valuable.From Hazrati Khizr Mosque you can see Bibi Khanum Mausoleum and large ensemble, constructed in honour of Amir Temur. People call it Bibi Khanum.