Muhammad Rakhim-khan madrasah was built in 1871 in line with the order of Sayid Muhammad Rakhim-khan II. It amazes tourists with its greatness. It holds one of the first places on the size of occupied area.
Muhammad Rakhim-khan madrasah is located near Kunya-Ark Fortress and trade rows.
Poets and scholars took part in its opening ceremony. In their rhymes, they praised khan for his kindness, chanted his greatness. After the completion of construction, he generously awarded architects, masters and artisans. In celebration ceremony, he personally handed over 118 tillas (gold coins).
Architecture of madrasah slightly differs from usual norms of that time. One-storey cells appeared here before the madrasah. They create small courtyard in front of the main façade. Two people lived in each of 76 cells. Along with lecture rooms (darshana), simmer and winter mosques and library with ancient manuscripts were also constructed. On the sides of the main façade, there were traditional guldasta towers.
Glazed bricks and majolica tiles, which were widely used in decoration of the medieval buildings, formed intricate patterns on the walls. The traditional Arab letters decorate the portal. Poems in Persian of famous poet Kamil (Khorezmi) inscribed on marble plate over the door.
In the end of the 20th century, when Uzbekistan became independent state, the madrasah was fully restored. In connection with the 150th anniversary of Muhammad Rakhimkhan, an exhibition “History and literature of Khorezm” was opened in the madrasah. The exhibition provides information on culture and history of Khorezm state, as well as impact of its policy to all medieval Central Asia.
As before, Muhammad Rahim-khan Madrasah amazes with large scale and originality of architectural traditions.