Konstantinovskaya Square, which was the biggest square, was located in the place of current Amir Temur Square during Tsarist Russia. Since it had unpaved surface, there was usually dust, while during rain there was a mess of mud.
Two streets crossed in the middle of the square – Kaufman and Moscow streets. They served as trade roads in the middle of the last century. Moscow street was a part of the Great Silk Road, leading to China. Kaufman street led to Qoqand direction. Two streets divided shady square to four parts. At the same time, the road skirted it, which also connected the large avenues.
That’s why it was lively place from ancient times. Male and female gymnasium (currently Law University), as well as the state bank are located around the square. They reached our times.
Initially the governor-general of Turkestan was buried in the square. The monument with many figures was installed here, and the place was renamed into Kaufman Square.
After 1917, the monuments and names of the place changed over and over. Moscow street was renamed into Engels street, Kaufman to Karl Marx street. One thing remained unchanged. The square always attracted citizens and tourists.
On the eve of the third anniversary of Uzbekistan, 31 August 1994, the square was named after statesman Amir Temur. Sculptor Ilkhom Jabbarov created new bronze monument – Great Commander sits on his warhorse. It was installed in the centre of the square.
The place was fully reconstructed in November 2009. Green lawns and walking paths were updated. More benches were installed.
Legendary hotel Uzbekistan, which is called as “Uzbechka” by Tashkent citizens, stands across the road. Palace of International Forums “Uzbekistan” is located near the hotel and it hosts meetings of the heads of states. There is also famous astronomical clock here.