Holy Assumption Cathedral Church (Uspensky Cathedral) belongs to Russian Orthodox Church and is located near Northern railway station.
The building of Panteleimon Church was built under the hospital cemetery in Tashkent in 1871. Six years later, construction of the building of the temple began. Citizens generously donated for its construction. Governor-general of Turkestan Konstantin Petrovich Kaufman also helped to its construction. He contributed 3,000 rubles – a large sum at that time. Merchant of the first guild Dmitry Zakho, however, made the largest donation. Then he became a churchwarden.
The temple was consecrated in honour of the great martyr and healer Panteleimon in 1879. After Soviets came to power, the building was used as a sanitary storage. After the end of World War II the building was returned to Orthodox Christians.
At this time, the church received the status of the cathedral of the Tashkent Diocese and consecrated in the name of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. In the middle of the 20th century, it was rebuilt and its area significantly grew.
The bell tower with the domes was reconstructed in the end of the 20th century. The surrounding area was expanded and improved. Exterior and interior of the temple has become richer.
On 10 November 1996 Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexy II conducted service in the cathedral. In 2014, the decision on construction of another temple of Luke was adopted. The temple will be used mainly for the funeral of the deceased.
Life at the church literally boils. Orthodox Church often holds various fairs. Miraculous icons and relics from other parishes are brought to the church on regular basis. Life-giving fire is delivered with special flight from Jerusalem on Easter night.